Teaching Blog Addict

Powered by Blogger.

Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Read Alouds Linky Party

This week marks the last week before I am finally able to get into my classroom!  Therefore, I have been working at home on several projects and lessons so that I am ready to get back to work quickly come Monday! 

 One of the things I have been organizing is my read aloud library for the year. In working on this project, I was excited to find the Favorite Read Aloud Linky Party going on at Teaching Happily Ever After! I have 2 books to share that I love using with my Kindergarten students. One is an old tried-and-true favorite that I love to use at the beginning of the school year. The other is a new favorite (at least, new to me)! 

 Long-time Fave: Wemberly Worried, by Kevin Henkes

   

 This is such a fantastic book for the start of school for Kindergarteners, and opens up great dialogue about our feelings about starting school. A great text to refer back to throughout the beginning weeks! I love all of Kevin Henkes' books, but this one is my favorite.



 New Fave: The Gruffalo, by Julia Donaldson

 

I really felt like I must have been living under a rock when I discovered that this one was published in 1999.... However, I am SO glad that last year I was introduced to The Gruffalo! Like Julia Donaldson's other books, it is funny and engaging. However, this particular story is just plain FUN to read out loud and get the kids laughing, excited, and reciting the lines along with you. Even better, it has SO much potential for literacy learning... plot, inferencing, character traits, descriptive writing, poetry... you name it! 
A "new" classic that I have recommended over and over again.

 Join the fun! I'd love to hear your choices!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment